Print Image


Chapel car 5


Chapel car 5 was donated to the Northwest Railway Museum in 2007 and moved to the Museum from a Pacific ocean beach near Grayland.

It is a rare surviving example of a wood passenger car that was purpose-built as a mobile church. From 1898 until 1948 it traveled from town to town, building and rebuilding congregations. And it spent nearly 30 years serving Washington State.

Car 5 was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in January 2009. In addition to its modern evangelism work, car 5 served the Railroad YMCA for two years, and was a featured exhibit at the 1904 World\'s Fair in St Louis.