Print Image


Army ambulance kitchen car


Army ambulance kitchen car USA 89601 was built in 1953 for the Army Medical Service. Its solitary purpose was to prepare meals on ambulance trains, but it never entered service. The rapid expansion of air transport in the late 1950s quickly rendered many ambulance trains obsolete.

Retired in the 1970s, the car was sold for use as a tool car to the Kennecott Copper in Nevada. When that operation was shut down, the car was donated to the Northwest Railway Museum.