King Street Station



Completed after 16 months of construction and opened on May 9, 1906, King Street Station remains in operation today serving Amtrak and Sound Transit passenger trains. It is the principle terminal serving the City of Seattle and is located adjacent to downtown.

Originally, this red brick structure served the Great Northern Railway and the Northern Pacific Railway. It is 135 feet by 330 feet and its highest point - the finial on the clock tower - stands 242 feet above the street. Construction in 1905/06 cost $450,000.

King Street Station is built on a solid foundation of piles driven in clusters at least 30 feet into the ground. The first story is constructed of reinforced concrete faced with granite from a quarry located near Index along the mainline of the Great Northern. Additional stories are framed with steel and exterior walls are formed from pressed brick. The roof was covered with green-glazed tiles.

The station was designed by Reed and Stem of St. Paul and New York, a firm with other notable railroad structures to its credit including New York\'s Grand Central Terminal.

It is undergoing a multimillion dollar rehabiliation to return it to its former glory. A particularly notable feature is the impressive clock tower inspired by Piazza de San Marco\'s campanile in Venice, Italy.