Bridge 35, Snoqualmie South Fork



In 1889 a wooden truss bridge was constructed to span the south fork of the Snoqualmie River in an area that would later be known as North Bend. 33 years later, a steel truss was relocated from Montana to replace that aging structure.

Upgrades to bridges on the mainline of the Northern Pacific Railway were conducted throughout the teens and 1920s to allow the introduction of heavier and more powerful locomotives that the designers of this classic through-pin-connected Pratt truss never envisioned. Ever cost conscious, Northern Pacific engineers ordered workers to dismantle this 5th crossing of the Yellowstone River in Montana that had been erected in 1891 and move it to North Bend for reuse.

This bridge underwent a major rehabilitation in 2003. New pile caps, a new deck, and new rail were installed. The structure was spot blasted to address areas of corrosion and the entire structure was repainted.

The structure continues in service today as a railroad bridge and carries trains operated by the Northwest Railway Museum.