Hoquiam Depot



The Hoquiam Depot was built in 1914 for the Northern Pacific Railway and served as the agent and operator\'s office; passenger service ended in 1955. After the 1970 merger, the Burlington Northern used the depot until 1992 when it was decommissioned and donated to the City of Hoquiam.

After several aborted attempts, rehabilitation of this historic structure was completed in 2008 at a total cost of $1.5 million. Reportedly, architects from Street, Lundgren and Foster used original construction documents as a guide. Original materials including the wood flooring in the ticket office, wood casings around the windows, doors, and decorative mouldings throughout the structure were rehabilitated. On the exterior, stucco was repaired, surfaces were repainted, and the dormer ends and gables were refinished. Funding for the project was provided by Federal Transportation Enhancement grants along with grants from the Weyerhaeuser Foundation and the Cheney Foundation.

Today, the train depot again functions as an attraction in downtown Hoquiam and serves as the Department of Licensing office.